Svetitskhoveli Cathedral

Svetitskhoveli Cathedral

Svetitskhoveli Cathedral is a monument of Georgian architecture of the XI century, one of the four large cathedrals of Georgia (Oshki, Alaverdi, Bagrati Cathedral). It is located in the city of Mtskheta, 20 kilometers from Tbilisi.

Svetitskhoveli is one of the largest historical church buildings in Georgia to date. For centuries it was the religious center of Georgia. In the VI century, the first church was built on this place, which has not survived. The basilica was built here in the second half of the 5th century. In the 11th century, the Catholicos of Kartli Melkisedek built a new church on the site of the damaged basilica. The construction of Svetitskhoveli took place in 1010-1029, its architect was Arsukidze.

Although Svetitskhoveli has been rebuilt many times, much of its old frescoes have been destroyed, and the whitewashing of the walls has lost some of the organic elements necessary for its artistic integrity, the cathedral is still impressive.

Our Partners